Birthday Nightgowns



I asked my daughter what my granddaughter, Ali, would like for her birthday.  The quick reply was for pajamas for the doll I made her earlier this year.  And, of course, when making a nightgown for a doll, one must also make a matching nightgown for the girl.  I took Emma, Sophie and Silas fabric shopping with me, and they picked out the fabric, each declaring it perfect for Ali.

I used a New Look pattern 6334.  Because Ali has very sensitive skin I didn’t want any exposed seams on the inside of the gown, so I needed to use french seams to enclose all the seam allowances.  The hardest part of that was to remember to sew wrong sides together first.  I had to repin several times because I’m so accustomed to sewing right sides together.  Even with the french seams, the seam stuck into the inside so i stitched it down.  It ended up a little bulky, but much better than raw edges with bothersome threads.

For the doll nightgown, I used a pattern I had made for a shirt for the doll I made my son (which I apparently never shared here), and extended the length.  I think I’ll spend some time working on an actual doll nightgown pattern soon so that it fits a little better and make more for Ali (and Norah, and Emma and Sophie).   But for now, this birthday gift is on its way to a sweet little girl who’s turning seven.  Seven!  How quickly the years go by.