We’ve been working more on the kitchen. The pictures aren’t pretty, but they’ll show you the current state of things.
- Our new stove is in and working. It’s a 36″, 6-burner stove. I love the extra room I have and can actually fit my two largest pots and pans on the stove at the same time. Dinner prep has (almost) become enjoyable.
- Now that the stove is in place, I actually have more than a 10″ path to get the the dishwasher. Unfortunately, it also meant removing the last bit of counter next to the sink.
- Our countertops are on order. I. can’t. wait. I haven’t done the math, but I think we’re quintupling our countertop work space. We’ve been making all our meals with about 3 feet of counters for so long that I’m not even sure what we’ll do with all that space. Just kidding. Mostly.
- Husband the Amazing has all the lower cabinet boxes in place. Just the boxes, but it enabled us to get the countertop moving along. He’ll build the face frames in place and then build the doors and drawers. But the boxes are there.
- Husband the Amazing also built the new upper cabinets. There are only two uppers in our new kitchen, with a cute little corner cabinet in between. I primed them and had hoped to get them painted two days ago, but I haven’t had time.
- I repainted the frames around the eight windows in the kitchen and dining room. Last year we painted them a warm yellow, thinking we might put in a soapstone counter. But after living with it, we realized that even with all those windows, our north facing kitchen gets precious little light and neither Husband nor I like anything to be dark. So we revisited our decorating plan and decided white and bright was the way to go for us.
In addition to the kitchen, we started our school year.
- We did a slow start last week, but this week we’re working on everything.
- Maddie will be continuing her dual enrollment college classes, but this semester they’re online.
- Zach is enrolled full time at the community college in a Sustainable Construction degree program.
- Neither Zach nor Maddie have been able to test for their drivers licenses. We sent paperwork into the state to schedule the road test but haven’t heard anything back yet. So I’m still driving. A lot.
- The little girls return to their dance classes this week. Silas is going to give the tumbling class a try. Maddie’s classes begin this week as well.
I haven’t been able to spend very much time sewing lately. I made the needlebooks and I have a doll I’ve been trying to finish. Even my knitting has been extremely slow.
I have been doing a little more reading though. I picked up these books at a library sale and devoured the first two. I’m on the last one and I’m trying to savor it a little more. I’m not sure what I’ll read next. I have a stack next to my bed, but I’m always looking for suggestions to add to my reading list. What are you reading?